This position is reporting to the Assets Supervisor in a high-energy open and challenging environment that focuses on finding efficient and flexible solutions for a diverse range of projects.
- Work with the existing in-house tools to create rigs for characters and props
- Set up skinning/paint weight for clean deformation of characters
- Work with art team to develop models that meets technical requirements
- Design and set up character dynamics (i.e. cloth, hair system)
- When necessary, create custom rig solutions suitable to the needs of animation and the confines of the production schedule
- Help troubleshoot animation issues by fixing/improving existing rigs.
- Work closely with Animators to develop rigs that will allow animators the full range of motion and acting that is called for by the story, as well as, a logical and easy to use control structure
- Use python scripting to automate rig builds and to build tools for the department. Communicate needs for custom tools, scripts, etc, to Asset Supervisor and other Rigging Artists. Assist in the planning and design, as well as developing the tools and scripts as needed.
- Provide and maintain technical documentation.
- Help coach more junior members of the team
- 3-5 years of production experience in CGI production
- Excellent knowledge of Maya and Python, with a strong understanding of the dependency graph, utility nodes, and the use of expressions.
- Detailed understanding of the principles of animation. Must be able to think like an animator when considering how rigs will move or deform.
- Experience with in-depth knowledge of character/prop rigging technique and principles with the ability to optimize performance of rigs
- Detailed knowledge of deformation, CG rigging tools and principles
- Knowledge in mathematics, anatomy & physiology, a plus
- Knowledge of MotionBuilder, the Unreal engine, and PyQT is an asset
- Advanced hero character rigging experience with a Maya based pipeline
- Strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to find pragmatic solutions
- Able to work efficiently as part of a team or independently on rigging projects.
- Effective communication skills
Please note that you must be able to provide a demo reel that illustrates your relevant artistic and technical experience that also includes the nuances for this specific role.